Saturday, March 27, 2010

Days in Melbourne

Hey, how are things with everyone?

I thought I'd just post a few quick things I've learned about Australia.

#1. Aussies love bagging New Zealand. I'm not kidding. The sheep jokes are horrible, omg. Sometimes I can't help but not laugh though. After I got here I found that I really do like grass and ... well, sheep.


#2. This place is a guy's paradise. In the height of summer, all the girls here are gorgeous and tall, evenly tanned and barely any see-through clothing on. It looks good mostly, even from a girl's point of view. I felt so retarded cuz I didn't bring much summer clothes with me (courtesy of my mum, or the friend of my mum; whoever gave the crap advice)

#3. Don't complain about Chch bus prices. Melbourne is far, far worse - at least to the normal non-concessioned riders like myself. However, these trams come frequently and takes you almost everywhere you need to go. They've also got the buses (I've not been a bus yet) and trains. Trams aren't the old kind we see doing loops around Chch city.

#4. Public transport isn't a form of relaxation. In Chch, we're all like *SLOMP* onto the seats on the bus on the way back from work. Unless it's peak times people hardly stands and everyone has a seat. Here, most likely you'll have to stand. Or worse, stand tightly squeezed between other people.

#5. The city doesn't die after midnight. That's good, you know. Trams actually run until 1pm. I thought that was epic, considering how the orbiter stops running at like, 11pm.

#6. People start wearing boots when it hits 20C. While 20C for us would be perfectly nice weather for a typical day - ie, two layers tops - people here start wearing BOOTS. Geez guys, it's not the end of the world.

#7. EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER. Almost. Clothes, technology, stationery, FOOD. All cheaper - you can get lunch at a restaurant easily for $10-$15. Sushi rolls are between $1.60-$2.50 that I've seen so far, and the range is way larger.

#8. Monash and Melbourne University is okay. All other universities deserves their fair share of dissing. It's kind of like how we make fun of Lincoln University in Canterbury, no offence.

#9. Spiders here are creepy. I've seen some pretty hectic spiders around here. There are less in the city, but I was at a family friends' place and I saw one... and I thought it was a plastic toy, because it was THIS BIG. IT WAS MASSIVE. Think a huge dandy long-legs and then DOUBLE IT. No tarantulas yet!!

#10. Last! and most importantly.... I'm starting to like it here. Still kind of lonely sometimes, but I'm beginning to learn that solitude as a good thing. It has to be. Otherwise I'd go crazy.

Now time for everyone else to update.

2 comments:

Eva said...

Same thing with the trams in France ^^ but they are much cleaner than the buses in NZ. Clothes seem cheaper as well, and if they aren't, the stlye, cut and fabric make up for it =)

Anonymous said...

wow. the prospects of cheap GST and Aussie being its own continent sounds great.
sushI!
what do they say about lincoln? =O